Oven Brickwork

Using all of the information I described earlier (and a bunch I didn’t) I used Sketchup to draw up the brickwork of the oven itself. That’s the bit around the opening. The drawing includes the cast iron frame around the opening.

When this was drawn up some years ago I had very little experience with 3D printing. A good example is the cast iron frame shown in gray in the drawing. The first test prints were produced not by Shapeways but by a company called Print-a-Part. That has been long enough ago that many people will not know of the company that preceded Shapeways.

.. and then .. here is the same pieces exploded so you can see the separate bits.

Honestly I can’t remember why I created the oven brickwork in all of the separate pieces. This was done so long ago I can mostly only guess – I was probably just slowly feeling my way into the project – shrug – I was new at this. I think that if I were going to do this again I would have it printed in one piece.

3D Print/Master

I had everything printed at Shapeways. Here the various bits are clued together with CAA. The ‘stone’ platform everything is sitting on is some Sintra (pvc) that has the stones scribed in.

This was the master that I used to make my RTV molds from.

One thing you get from doing this kind of thing is .. all the things you did wrong .. and how to fix it ‘next time’. I would for example make it so the pieces locked together with tabs or something .. no reason not too as that would just require a small change in the CAD. Then .. there is no reason to print the thing in multiple pieces to start with. I completely forgot about the ‘stone work’ on the bottom which I hand carved into some Sintra® .. if I remember right. That would be part of a single print.

RTV Mold and Casting

Here we have a simple mold box with the master glued to the back bottom. The RTV mold is the blue thing to the lower right and a casting to the lower left.

The castings came out pretty well. There was a place where the bottom edge of the “Iron Frame” was supposed to slide in that .. didn’t. I think .. if I remember right that that thin edge didn’t fill with RTV correctly. Since that time I have managed to acquire both a pressure pot and a vacuum chamber that can be fixed .. the original just used a RTV that didn’t require vacuum .. which was .. mostly .. true. The trouble with statements like .. “doesn’t require vacuum” is that you have to ask “Why?” then would someone spend all the money on a vacuum chamber then? The answer is that what I used work .. mostly. There is the old saying .. “There’s no such thing as a free lunch

Casting

The casting here has been stained with AI then dry brushed ‘brick’ colors.

Lesson Learned : I used some plaster I had on hand which was common Plaster of Paris. I REALLY needed to get some Hydrocal for this kind of thing.

Since those early days I found a good source at Michaels/Hobby Lobby with what is called “Pottery Plaster” and says that it is “used for ceramics”. From what I can tell it is either Hydrocal or something similar enough it makes no matter. I also managed to get my hands on some Dental Plaster so for future castings I am good to go!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The maximum upload file size: 100 MB.
You can upload: image, audio, video, document, spreadsheet, interactive, other.
Links to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and other services inserted in the comment text will be automatically embedded.