Building up the history of the railroads on my layout based on actual history and railroading in South and North Carolina. Rows in Cyan are fictional.

DateWhat happened
1852The Western Railroad (WRR) was chartered in 1852 to build a 43 mile line from Fayetteville northwest to the coalfields of Egypt, about seven miles beyond Sanford.
November 1853An auger boring uncovered a coal seam some 400 feet deep at the Egypt site.
February 14, 1855The Chatham Railroad (CRR) was chartered by North Carolina to build a rail line, "...between Deep River, at or near the Coalfields, Moncure, NC in the county of Chatham, and the City of Raleigh or some point on the North Carolina Railroad."
1856Egypt Coal Mine opened. Located in Chatham County (in a section that is now part of Lee County).
1863Line completed to Egypt (WRR)
1870Egypt Coal Mine closed due to flooding along the Deep River.
1871The Chatham Railroad was reorganized as the Raleigh & Augusta Air-Line Railroad (R&AAL). The line intersects with the Western Railroad at a sandy ridge northwest of Jonesboro.
Note:This needs to be taken over by the DRR
1875Reached Hamlet.
1877The R&AAL, which was controlled by the Raleigh & Gaston Railroad Company, had reached the North Carolina-South Carolina state line.
1879The Western Railroad and the Mt. Airy and Ore Knob Railroad (MA&OK RR) were merged into the new Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railway (CF&YVR).
1880The Camden and Cheraw Railway is formed. (a few years down the road the Palmetto run into Cheraw, SC. That is about 60 mi from Camden so seems like a good direction for the C&NW)
Bet. 1885 and 1887 Between 1885 and 1887, the Palmetto Railroad, later reorganized as the Palmetto Railway, had built southward from Hamlet, North Carolina, on the Seaboard main line, to Cheraw, South Carolina.
1888The Lugoff and Sumter Railway is formed.
1889Egypt Coal Mine reopened
1891The Deep River Coal Mine opened
1892The Deep River Coal & Coke is chartered by Branstetter Aggregates. This 18" Narrow Gauge runs from the mine to a tipple to transfer coal to the DRRR (future).
1894The Deep River Railroad is charted. This is a 30" gauge line using equipment from a mine in South America owned by Branstetter Aggregates. DRC&C is reorganized as Deep River Mining.
1895In 1895, the Seaboard took control of the Palmetto Railway and extended the tracks to Columbia.
1899The Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railway was sold to the Southern Railway where it was reorganized as the Atlantic and Yadkin Railway. The newly created Atlantic and Yadkin then sold back the southern half of its lines from Sanford, North Carolina, to Wilmington to the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad (W&R), which was later reorganized as the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. The northern half remained a wholly owned subsidiary of the Southern Railway.
1900Lugoff whistle stop
April 21, 1900The Wilmington and Waldon Railroad merged into the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad.
1901Line extension Camden to Columbia
1904Branstetter Aggregates merged into Lugoff and Camden Aggregates.
1905The Egypt Coal Mine is closed.
1906The Camden and Cheraw Railway is merged with the Lugoff and Sumter Railway as the Lugoff, Camden and Northern Railroad.
1910The LC&N is purchased by Lugoff and Camden Aggregates.
1915The Egypt Coal Mine is reopened by the Norfolk Southern Railroad as the Cumnock Coal Company.
1921The Carolina Mine at Farmville, about 4 miles east of Gulf opens.
1922The Erskine-Ramsey Coal Company bought the Cumnock Coal Mine but it closed again due to financial and production difficulties.
May 27, 1925The Coalglen mine about two miles north of the Cumnock Coal Mine was also the site of a major mining disaster
1929The Cummnock Coal Mine closed for the last time due to flooding.